|Mountain View Regional Waste Management Commission
||About the Waste Management Commission
The Mission Statement of the Commission is: To divert as much waste as possible from disposal in landfill and reduce waste management expenses by operating an integrated waste management system, which includes reuse, reduction, recycling, recovery and disposal.
The objectives of the Commission are:
- To plan, implement, own and operate an integrated waste management system serving the Commission's members with an environmentally appropriate waste management service at reasonable cost and with the continued reduction of reliance on municipal requisitions;
- To minimize the amount of waste requiring disposal through the application of the 4 R's in the following order: reduction (at source), reuse, recycling and recovery;
- To utilize residual waste through innovative technologies in cooperation with other municipalities and/or waste collection companies;
- To dispose of residual waste in a manner that will protect public health and safety, and the environment;
- To plan, develop and implement an education program that will foster environmental awareness in local communities that encourages waste minimization and proper waste disposal;
- To cooperate with the business community in exploring business and job creation within the region through waste minimization and management activities; and
- To plan, develop and implement strategies for increased growth of our residential, commercial and ICI (Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional) development.
Current Goals established for the Commission are:
- Fiscal Sustainability
- Complete Major system Components
- Focus on Customer Service
- Public Education
- Maximize Waste diversion from Landfill
- Provide facilities and opportunities for commercial and residential recycling.
- Develop sustainable markets for recyclable materials.
The Commission is managed by a board of directors who are appointed each year by the respective municipal councils. The member municipalities consist of:
- Town of Olds
- Town of Sundre
- Town of Carstairs
- Town of Didsbury
- Village of Cremona
- Mountain View County
The Commission is independent of the member municipalities. It operates with a permanent CAO. The financial records are maintained under contract agreement through Mountain View County administration.
Living sustainably means living smarter. Help reduce our impact on the environment.